Local Market Monitor, a North Carolina firm that measures the potential for price appreciation in real estate markets with more than 200,000 residents, recently evaluated markets for conservative investors. It identified the best metros as those with signs that prices are stabilizing. It also named markets where prices are still falling as “dangerous.”
Here are the 10 most-promising areas for conservative investors:
1. Tulsa, Okla.
2. Oklahoma City, Okla.
3. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, Calif.
4. Albany-Schenectady-Troy, N.Y.
5. Indianapolis-Carmel, Ind.
6. El Paso, Texas
7. Winston-Salem, N.C.
8. Cincinnati-Middletown, Ohio-Ky.-Ind.
9. Worcester, Mass.
10. Louisville-Jefferson County, Ky.-Ind.
The top 10 most “dangerous” areas are:
1. Ocala, Fla.
2. Lakeland-Winter Haven, Fla.
3. Reno-Sparks, Nev.
4. Orlando-Kissimmee, Fla.
5. Deltona-Daytona Beach-Ormond Beach, Fla.
6. Port St. Lucie, Fla.
7. Las Vegas-Paradise, Nev.
8. Boise City-Nampa, Ind.
9. Prescott, Ariz.
10. Cape Coral-Fort Myers, Fla.
Source: The Wall Street Journal, M.P. McQueen (10/01/2010)