While Irvine Ranch Conservancy staff regularly lead activities in the Irvine Ranch Natural Landmarks that teach the public about nature, now they are also training teachers and conservation workers. Two upcoming programs will help these groups spread a message of stewardship to a wider audience.
“Teaching the Outdoors: Environmental Education Activities for Teachers.” is a new workshop for education professionals who are or want to teach environmental education to kids of all ages. The program is presented by trained facilitators who will train teachers to present activities from both Project Learning Tree and Project Wet, two nationally-known environmental education organizations. Limestone Canyon will provide the backdrop for the workshop and hike on April 21 from 9 am to 1 pm, resulting in teachers prepared to take the outdoors into the classroom.
PROGRAMS & ACTIVITIES • APRIL 16-22
The activities below are offered by a variety of organizations and their dedicated volunteers.
Pre-registration is required. Walk-up registrations are not allowed.
For most programs, registration for weekday programs closes at 4 p.m. on the day prior to the event. Weekend program registration closes at 4 p.m. on the Friday prior to the event. Programs are free unless otherwise noted in the full program description.
DATE/TIME PROGRAMS & ACTIVITIES/REGISTRATION <<…>>
· 04/17 Tue/6:00 PM Afternoon Cardio Hike – Shoestring, Hicks, Sandtrap Online Sign-up
· 04/18 Wed/8:00 AM Advanced Mountain Bike Ride on the Fremont Loop Online Sign-up
· 04/18 Wed/8:00 AM Mid Week Hike in Bommer Online Sign-up
· 04/18 Wed/8:30 AM Citizen Science Quail Hill Restoration Site Monitoring Online Sign-up
· 04/18 Wed/ 9:00 AM Native Farm Harvest and Maintenance Online Sign-up
· 04/18 Wed/9:00 AM Blooming Buds in Baker: Wildflower Walk in Baker Meadow Online Sign-up
· 04/19 Thu/8:00 AM Thursday Morning Nature Hike- Bommer Canyon Online Sign-up
· 04/19 Thu/9:00 AM Black Star Canyon Hike Online Sign-up
· 04/20 Fri/8:00 AM Spring Bird Walk and Observation Online Sign-up
· 04/20 Fri/8:30 AM Invasive Quail Hill Earth Day Artichoke Thistle Removal Online Sign-up
· 04/20 Fri/9:00 AM Friday Morning Ride in Weir Canyon Online Sign-up
· 04/20 Fri/9:00 AM Tot Walk – Call (949) 497-8324 OR Website
· 04/20 Fri/9:00 AM A Morning Stroll to Barbara’s Lake – Call (949) 497-8324 OR Website
· 04/20 Fri/1:00 PM Native Farm Harvest and Maintenance Online Sign-up
· 04/21 Sat/8:00 AM Slow Paced Mountain Bike Ride on the Fremont Blind Weir Loop Online Sign-up
· 04/21 Sat/8:30 AM Invasive Removals Bommer Canyon – Celebrate Earth Day! Online Sign-up
· 04/21 Sat/9:00 AM Native Farm Harvest and Maintenance Online Sign-up
· 04/21 Sat/9:00 AM Big Canyon Bird and Plant Program Call (949) 923-2269 OR Website
· 04/21 Sat/9:00 AM MTB Ride at Bommer Canyon Online Sign-up
· 04/21 Sat/9:00 AM Wilderness Access Day-Bommer Canyon – Registration not required.
· 04/21 Sat/9:00 AM Nature Walk at O’Neill Regional Park – Email
· 04/21 Sat/9:00 AM Teaching The Outdoors: Environmental Education Activities for Teachers Online Sign-up
· 04/21 Sat/9:00 AM Saturday Morning Equestrian Ride in Fremont Canyon – East Online Sign-up
· 04/21 Sat/10:00 AM Exploring Bommer: Biodiversity Interpretive Walk Online Sign-up
· 04/21 Sat/10:00 AM Guided Kayak Tour at the Upper Newport Bay Call (949) 923-2269
· 04/21 Sat/3:00 PM Saturday Family Hike-Aliso & Wood Canyons Wilderness Park Call (949) 923-2235
· 04/21 Sat/3:00 PM Laid Back Hike Call (949) 923-2235 OR Website
· 04/21 Sat/8:00 PM Campfire Program at O’Neill Regional Park Email
· 04/22 Sun/8:00 AM Birding Hike at Laguna Coast Wilderness Park – Call (949) 497-8324 OR Website
· 04/22 Sun/8:00 AM Intermediate Mountain Bike Ride from Hicks Haul Road to Limestone Canyon Online Sign-up
· 04/22 Sun/10:00 AM Guided Kayak Tour at the Upper Newport Bay Call (949) 923-2269
· 04/22 Sun/10:00 AM Newport Bay Conservancy and OC Parks Earth Day at the Peter and Mary Muth Center – Call (949) 923-2290 OR Website