Friends in our Newport Beach neighborhood have recently become victims of residential burglary.
Here are some great Home Security Tips from the Newport Beach Police Department we wanted to share with you:
- Always lock your windows and doors when you go out, even if for only a few minutes.
If you return home and find your pedestrian door that leads into your home locked, and you are certain that you left it unlocked, DO NOT GO INSIDE!
- Call 9-1-1 ~ Burglars often lock this door to slow down a victim, allowing the burglar extra time to get out of the home before the resident enters.
- If your home is equipped with an alarm, always activate it even if you’re only going out for a short walk.
- Consider adding a motion sensor in your master bedroom/bathroom, which will activate the alarm if someone comes in through a glass window or door without opening it.
- Always keep your front and rear porch lights on from dusk to dawn and use motion detector lighting along the sides of your home or areas with little foot traffic.
- Use timers on indoor lamps to give the appearance that you are home.
- Adjust window coverings for optimal privacy while maintaining good visibility outside.
- If your garage door has a remote shutoff button on the wall-mounted control, located in the garage, consider locking the door nightly. This will prevent your garage door from being opened remotely.
- If you have a safe, make sure that it is properly bolted to concrete so that it cannot be easily removed.
- Always close and lock your safe and never leave a key or combination out or in an easy to find location (i.e. office, nightstand, etc).
- When you leave on vacation, remember to call the Police Department for a “Vacation
- Check” 949-644-3681 or sign-up online at http://www.nbpd.org. Also, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to pick up your newspaper and mail while you are away.
For more information on securing your home, please click on this link: HOME SECURITY TIPS
Report all suspicious activity by calling the Newport Beach Police Department at 949-644-3717.